Discover how to make a gorgeous baked aubergine/eggplant dinner, complete with baked tomatoes, lentils and olives!
I have said before how much I love eggplant and really, I have to say that I am completely in love with this simple, yet hearty vegetarian dish.
Basically any recipe with lentils or eggplant is good by me, and when you combine the two together – well I’m in heaven!
I know what you are thinking: lentils, could it be any more vegetarian cliche?
Well you are right it is pretty cliche but who cares! Because when lentils are oven baked, as they are in this dish with fresh tomatoes and olives, well they are simply gorgeous!
This dish is very easy to make:
1) Cook your lentils at a simmer
2) Lightly score your eggplants and smother the eggplant in chimichurri
3) Pop all of the ingredients into the oven to bake.
That’s pretty much it! Simple huh? Voila!
This dish is not going to disappoint and it is perfect for a fat free Friday or a meat free Monday!
Serve it piping hot with either a dollop of plain yoghurt or labneh or a dollop of hummus if you are vegan!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup uncooked brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 10 small black olives, stones removed (or use 5 large olives)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 eggplant
- 3 Tbsp chimichurri (you can use a store bought one if you like)
- Salt, for seasoning
- Add the olive oil to an oven proof pot and add the onions, garlic and cumin seeds and fry lightly until the onions are soft.
- Add the stock and the lentils. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut the eggplant in half and score the flesh in a criss-cross manner. Sprinkle with salt then smother with the chimichurri.
- After the lentils have cooked for 10 minutes, place the eggplant on top of the lentils with the chimichurri side facing up. Cover with a lid and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl mix the tomatoes, olives and balsamic vinegar and put to the side.
- When the 20 minutes is up, add the tomato mixture to the pot, place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes uncovered.
- Serve with yoghurt or labneh or hummus.