Discover a delicious jacket potato and vegan chilli con ‘carne’ recipe made with jackfruit and black beans. Perfect for winters evenings! Made in 1.5 hours and just as tasty re-heated the next day for lunch.
I’m ever so slightly obsessed with jacket potatoes at the moment. Mainly because they are so frickin easy to make and so frickin tasty.
I swear up until a month ago I hadn’t had a jacket potato in about 20 years, and now I think I’ve made baked potatoes 4 times in the last month.
No idea what this obsession is about, but I think it does come down to the fact that they are delicious! Also they are about as easy to cook as anything.
I use Agria potatoes, this is a potato readily available where I live, but if you aren’t sure what potato to use then a quick google search on baked potato + your area should help you out.
You defiantely want to get the type of potato that is good for baking, otherwise you might end up with a substandard jacket potato and this would be too sad!
Once you get the potato cooking you can whip up my chilli con vegan. Basically it’s a mixture of tinned young green jackfruit in brine (another current obsession), tinned black beans mixed in with tomatoes and chilli spices.
I serve my jacket potato with vegan cheese grated over the top and some smashed avocado with a pinch of salt added.
This recipe is a winner because it is:
Easy – sooooooo easy,
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 heaped tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tins young green jackfruit in brine (available at any asian store - make sure to buy brine only and not sweetened)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- 2 Tbsp tomato ketchup
- 400 g tin black beans
- Baking Potatoes (the sauce recipe above is enough for 6 jacket potatoes)
- Scrub the potatoes.
- Prick them with a fork all over and cook at 170 degrees celsius for 70 minutes and then 20 minutes at 220 degrees celsius.
- Smash the avocado and whip it until smooth then season with salt and pepper. Put in the fridge until needed.
- Meanwhile Add the oil to a pan and fry the onion until translucent.
- Add the spices except the marjoram and cook for 2 minutes.
- To the pan add the jackfruit (cut the cores off first), tinned beans (including the brine/juice), tinned tomatoes, tomato ketchup, vegetable stock, ½ tin of water and cook covered for 30 minutes.
- To serve, slit the potatoes with a knife and smother with the chilli mixture and add a good dollop of the avocado mixture on top.
- Grate vegan cheese over the top.
- If you are not vegan serve with sour cream instead of avocado and grated cheddar.