A super fast and rich soup for the cold winter months! When you have only a little bit of time to whip something up, then this is your go-to soup.
This soup is so creamy and hearty, it’s really quite amazing that it contains no cream, no cheese, no dairy. The cashews give it such a rich, creamy texture and also a hit of cheesy taste. It’s glorious. It’s also bright green, which means it looks so pretty in any bowl.
Cooked broccoli is generally something that I am not a fan of, baby broccoli is another matter, I love baby broccoli when it is stir fried, yum! But adult broccoli, cooked, it’s just not something I have ever been that enamoured with. So it’s great to be able to use it in a dish that I do really love.
Broccoli when combined with mint and cashew nuts and blended creates such a beautiful, flavoursome soup that it’s hard to believe it’s just broccoli!
Anyway, you just have to try it.
It is lovely served with mint as a garnish and some black pepper.
- 1 large head broccoli
- 7 cups vegetable stock (make the stock using a good quality stock powder make it up using the water that the vegetables in this recipe are cooked in!)
- ½ cup cashew nuts
- 1 large bunch fresh mint
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large onion
- ½ teaspoon salt and more for seasoning
- pepper, for seasoning
- Chop the broccoli and cook in salted, boiling water, until just soft (approx. 6 minutes).
- Remove broccoli from the water and put to the side to cool.
- Add the cashews to the broccoli water and allow to soak and soften for 10 minutes.
- Add oil to a pan and over a medium heat fry the onion and garlic with a sprinkle of salt until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add all of the ingredients (including the mint) to a food processor/blender and blend until creamy. You may need to blend in batches.
- Season with more salt and pepper and serve with a sprig of mint and crusty bread. For a non-vegan option you might like to serve with a little yoghurt on top.