Creamy, crumbly, yummy! This quick recipe serves as a main or can be served up as a tasty side salad.
Celery is definitely a love it or hate it vegetable! I have no idea how anyone could hate it, as I am always munching down on freshly chopped celery sticks. I especially love to eat it with peanut butter shoved into it’s little valley. Try it! Do it!
A lot of people seem to hate the stringiness of celery, I don’t really find it offensive, but I still make sure that I peel the outside of the celery with a vegetable peeler when making this dish. It only takes a few minutes and really does result in a superior dish that will appeal to more people. If you really, really, really don’t care about celery strings, then you can leave this step out, but I do recommend doing it, as you might as well have a stringless dish for the little effort that it takes!
This recipe has got so many good things going for it, it’s got crunch but at the same time has creaminess. It is super delicious and it’s serious comfort food, especially on cold, wintery evenings, and it’s made from celery which is a nutritional bombshell!
I don’t have time or energy to write all of celery’s nutritional benefits here (cue to eat more celery, hehe). But take my word for it, celery really is the daddy when it comes to great foods to eat!
- 1 bunch celery
- ½ tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 50 g unsalted almonds, halved
- 150 ml single cream
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 30 g parmesan cheese, grated on finest setting
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp coriander powder (or ground coriander)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Grate the outside of each celery stick to remove stringy bits.
- Cut the celery sticks into 3 lengthwise and then into thin sticks about 7cm long.
- In an ovenproof dish add the onions, garlic, celery and mix in the coriander and cumin.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and stir.
- Pour in the cream and stir.
- In a separate bowl mix the breadcrumbs and the parmesan together with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the parmesan over the top of the celery mixture so that it is completely covered.
- Cook in the oven for 35 minutes until vegetables are nicely cooked and the top is crispy.