This is such a delicious vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese that I am tempted to take the vegan out of the title, because I am sure lots of dairy eaters wouldn’t notice that the dairy is missing. I have nothing against dairy mac cheese, and will probably put my dairy recipe up in another section of this site, but this non-dairy recipe is such a nice alternative if you fancy a less fatty option!
I absolutely love the old classic Mac ‘n’ cheese. Such a classic childhood dish and really something that is perfect for cold winter evenings. I love it so much, I will even eat it cold, no problem! Don’t judge me . . .
So, I really wanted to try and make a vegan option, because I think vegans should not have to miss out on Mac ‘n’ Cheese just because they don’t want to eat dairy.
A little secret cheesy formula in the vegan world is this:
nutritional yeast + cashews = cheese
That’s right, if you take nutritional yeast, add cashews and a little bit of salt, you basically have a brilliant base for vegan cheese. If you take these ingredients and put it into a food processor you basically have a great parmesan substitute and if you do the same and add soaked cashews instead of un-soaked, then you have a base for a cheese sauce. So there you go, the secret it out.
I was so happy with this dish and even my non-vegan husband agreed that it’s completely delicious! So why not give it a whirl?
Let me know what you think.
- 3 cups macaroni
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ¾ cup water (use the same water that the veggies are cooked in)
- ½ cup raw cashew nuts
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 teaspoon dijon or english mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt, for seasoning
- pepper, for seasoning
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 40g fresh breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Cook macaroni as per packet instructions.
- In a saucepan add just enough water to boil the carrots, potatoes and onions until soft enough to blend.
- Once the carrots, potatoes and onions are cooked add the cashews to saucepan and put aside.
- In a large pan add a splash of olive oil, then the garlic and thyme (no stalks) and fry until the garlic is golden (about 2 minutes). Transfer to a food processor and blend with the breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper and leave on a plate or in a bowl until needed.
- Put the cooked veges and cashews and ¾ cup of veggie water into a food processor and blend until you have a smooth creamy texture.
- Add the mustard, cayenne pepper, paprika, lemon juice, garlic powder and yeast and blitz again.
- Mix the 'cheesy' mixture into the macaroni and put into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture on top.
- Cook in an oven for 25 minutes or until golden on top.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before eating.