A zingy, refreshing, pretty salad to have as a side or at a BBQ.
Radishes are one of those vegetables that I always forget about. But they are so peppery and crunchy and delicious that I have decided I really need to pay more attention to them.
I decided that I wanted to create a really delicious, limey, crunchy salad and one that was really colourful and bright. We are in Spring in New Zealand and I wanted to make something that made me feel like summer is on it’s way.
The secret to cooking green beans for salads is to take away just the tiniest bit of crunch, while leaving them still crunchy. Raw beans just don’t really taste very good when chopped up and put into salads, in my opinion, so it is always a good idea to give them a quick, light cook. I find the best way to do this is to give them a light steam. I boil water in the jug, tip it into a pot over the hob on a medium heat, and then place a colander, containing the beans, on top of the pot so that they will steam lightly. You could also use a steamer!
The secret really is to make sure they are only very lightly steamed. So once they are cooked just that tiny bit, you want to put them into cold water straight away and make sure that they don’t secretly keep cooking (vegetables have a habit of doing this if you put them to the side and leave hot).
If you do this you should have the perfect salad green bean with just the right amount of bite!
This salad is perfect as a side to any dish and is a great salad to serve up at a BBQ.
- 4 large handfuls green beans, washed ends cut off
- 80 g feta cheese
- 5 large radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- juice 1 large lime
- salt, for seasoning
- pepper, for seasoning
- Steam the green beans, for 3 minutes, until lightly cooked. Remove from the heat and put into cold water to prevent them from cooking further.
- In a bowl whisk the oil and lime juice until thickened and season with salt and pepper.
- Place all of the vegetables into a bowl or on a large platter.
- Mix in the dressing.
- Crumble in the feta cheese.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat.