Ummmmmm, did I just make ice-cream with my own fair hand and no ice-cream maker? That’s what you will be asking yourself… and the answer is YEP! This is a really easy, fast, healthy option ice cream. Oh, and it’s delicious!
This is a pretty easy dish to make and it yields pretty impressive results. Making your own, home made ice-cream is definitely something that you can pat yourself on the back about.
I don’t have an ice cream maker (yet), its something that I have put off getting due to the fact that I don’t really want to be eating ice-cream every day. So, in order to make this ice cream, I used my kitchen aid mixer.
I put the bowl and the mixing attachment in the fridge for a few hours so that they were super cold. I also put 2 tins of coconut milk in the fridge overnight so that it was also super cold. These are important steps to follow, as it really does need to be very cold in order to become ice cream.
I used vegan chocolate pieces, you can find these at any good health food store.
I also added in some green food colouring as I wanted it to give the visual impression of mint, but this is something you don’t have to do, obviously, if you don’t then the ice cream will be white with chocolate and mint flakes instead of the green colour in my photograph.
Make sure that you use coconut milk with a high fat content, the fat is required to make the ice cream whip up, so no skinny/lite versions please!
This flavour is mint and chocolate, but you could make any flavour you like. Once you have made the base you could add different flavours to the recipe and it will work just as well. I think fresh raspberries blended up and folded through would be delicious too!
Keen to hear what flavours you make.
- 3 cans full fat coconut cream (put 2 cans in the fridge to chill over night before making. Also note that it has to be full fat coconut cream or this recipe won't work)
- 1 bunch of mint, chopped
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g vegan chocolate
- green food colouring (optional)
- You will need a high speed mixer for this recipe. Also you will need to put the mixer bowl in the fridge for an hour before beginning. It works best if the mixer bowl is cold.
- Put 1 can of full fat coconut cream into a pan with the sugar and simmer for 30 minutes to create a condensed milk. When the mixture has turned a golden colour and has reduced by half then take it off the heat and cool.
- Break up your chocolate into small pieces.
- Remove the creamy solids from the 2 cold cans of coconut milk. Put the solids into your cold mixing bowl and whip until it is fluffy, this should take about 4 minutes on a high setting.
- Add the condensed milk and then whip again for 3 minutes on a high setting.
- Add in the vanilla extract and stir through the chopped mint and chocolate.
- If you want to add food colouring stir in a few drops.
- Pour into a lidded container and put into the freezer.
- Leave at room temperature before serving.