A simple, low fat alternative to traditional pesto and pasta… YUM!
So of course I raced out and bought the Spiralizer as soon as the zoodle craze hit! Of course I did! And, in my defence, I actually do use it a lot.
For those of you not familiar with zoodles or a Spiralizer, well, the latter is a kitchen appliance that turns (mainly root) vegetables into spirals, and the former is the result of zucchini/courgettes being turned into spirals. Zucchini spirals are a good, low carb replacement for noodles, therefore: Zucchini + Noodles = Zoodles!
So, of course once I had my spiralizer I was turning any and all vegetables I could lay my hands on into zoodle-esq, carb-less wonders!
You can make your zoodles by grating the courgette/zucchini instead, or you can use a vegetable peeler to cut it into thin ribbons, either of these methods will result in a slightly different looking, but essentially the same tasting zoodle.
I do find that zoodles are better when they have not been boiled before serving. They are usually pretty wet anyway and boiling them just seems to turn them into a slushy mess. So, I tend to prepare the zoodle and then add it to the hot pan literally no more than a minute before serving. This ensures that my zoodles are nicely heated but not limp, lifeless mush!
- 4 zucchinis/courgettes made into zoodles
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 8 sundried tomatoes (optional), chopped into quarters
- 2 handfuls of rocket leaves
- 2 tsp olive oil
- For the pesto:
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup parsley
- ¼ cup cashew nuts
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 large bunch basil
- juice from 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Make your zoodles and put to one side.
- Put all of the pesto ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Mix in a little olive oil to make it creamy.
- Heat a pan and add a teaspoon of olive oil. Add the chopped garlic to the pan and fry until soft but not brown.
- Add in the pea pesto, chilli, 1 handful of rocket and sundried tomatoes (if using). Heat through.
- Add the zoodles to the pan and cook for about 1 minute (until just al dente).
- Serve with sprinkles of cashew nuts, fresh rocket and sliced chilli (optional).