A fresh and fragrant salad with chinese spices and crispy noodles. Healthy, guilt free and filling!
Basically, I would eat anything served with crispy noodles. I love them. So really, I find any excuse to incorporate them into a dish.
This salad is the perfect dish to serve up to vegans, it contains absolutely no dairy, but it is packed full of flavour. Also it contains so many vegetables that it is giving you a powerful punch of nutrients.
It’s inspired by China and therefore has hints of the Orient in flavour. The lead part in this dish really is played by the portobello mushrooms, they do superbly well in soaking up the flavours of the hoisin sauce and their juiciness adds a real ‘meatiness’ to this dish.
This salad certainly has enough going on, so it can be served as a main dish. I do so with some lovely crusty bread. But it is equally as good as a side dish.
It’s quick to make, full of nutrition and beautiful to look at. What more could you want?
- 8 portobello mushrooms
- ½ cucumber, cut into ribbons
- 1 large carrot, cut into ribbons
- ½ fresh lettuce, chopped
- 1 bunch coriander leaves, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, cut on an angle
- 5 spring onions, cut on an angle
- 1 red onion
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 handfuls crispy noodles
- ½ cup roasted cashews chopped (or you can toast the cashews yourself in a pan)
- lime wedges to serve
- For the hoisin dressing:
- 50ml hoisin sauce
- 25ml sesame oil
- 25ml soy sauce
- 25ml rice vinegar
- For the mushroom marinade:
- 1½ teaspoons five-spice
- 1 teaspoon pureed ginger
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Whisk together all of the mushroom marinade ingredients and using a pastry brush paint the mushrooms with the marinade then bake in the oven on a high heat for 10-15 minutes. You want the mushrooms to still be juicy.
- Place all of the hoisin dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well (or whisk in a bowl).
- Using a vegetable peeler, create ribbons from the carrot and the cucumber.
- Arrange all of the vegetables and tomatoes onto a platter and cover with the hoisin dressing.
- Add the mushrooms to the top of the platter and sprinkle with the cashews and the crispy noodles. Serve with fresh lime wedges.