Discover a quick and easy, low cost, healthy, vegetarian potato and cherry tomato tortilla recipe that is delicious hot or cold. Ready in 30 minutes and feeds 6-8 people.
Quick and filling, this nod to the Spanish tortilla is a super easy meal to make and is suitable for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Spanish tapas is one of my favourite styles of food. Sitting in a Spanish cafe in the centre of Barcelona, feasting on real-life Spanish tapas is one of the best things that a food lover can do. When I was based in London, I visited Barcelona and Southern Spain many times for holidays, and I always ate tapas!
Interestingly, on one of my trips to Barcelona I found the best tapas to be outside of the city centre a little. I stayed out near Camp Nou, home of the very famous Barcelona football team, and near to my hotel was a local cafe that served wonderful tapas. When there, I would order up a storm and one of my favourite dishes was, without a doubt, the Spanish tortilla. Served up as just a wedge of tortilla with crusty bread, it was a mouth watering delight. Also, the dish is as pretty as a picture.
I don’t profess to know the ins and outs of creating a perfect Spanish tortilla, which is part of the reason why I have left the ‘Spanish’ out in my naming of this dish. I wouldn’t want to annoy any potential Spanish readers I might have out there, who may read this recipe and note that it is not, in any traditional sense, a Spanish tortilla! So, lets just say that this is a tribute to all the Spanish tortillas I have eaten, which is quite a few, and all of which were delicious!
I have added tomatoes and spring onions to this tortilla, mainly because I think they add some pretty colour to the dish without taking away from the more traditional flavours. I also add cayenne pepper to mine, which is optional and should only be added if you like spice, which I do!
- 800 g potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 120 g cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 6 eggs
- salt, for seasoning
- pepper, for seasoning
- 1 large pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Add the potatoes to salted boiling water and cook until tender (approx. 7 minutes) then drain and leave to the side.
- Put the spring onions and a large pinch of salt into a pan with olive oil and fry until soft (approx. 5 minutes).
- Pre-heat your grill to a medium/high temperature.
- Add the cooked, drained potatoes to the pan and fry for 3 minutes until completely covered with oil.
- Add the chopped tomatoes in an even layer to the top of the potatoes and then layer the chopped parsley onto the tomatoes.
- In a bowl mix the eggs, salt, pepper and 3 tablespoons of cold water.
- Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and then cook on top of the hob, for 10-15 minutes, on a low heat.
- When the tortilla is almost set, sprinkle cayenne pepper over the top (optional) and put it under the grill to brown the top.
- Allow tortilla to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a green salad or crusty bread.