Bulgur is left to ‘cold soak’ in preserved lemons, parsley, coriander and mint. Throw in a touch of chilli and some spring onions and you have a mediterranean delight. You can eat it as a side salad or as the main event!
I’ve turned away from cooking my grains, well couscous and bulgur wheat anyway! I find cold soaking makes a superior dish.
For whatever reason, I find that allowing the grains to soak up the flavours at a slower pace seems leave me with a better texture and a grain that is packed with more flavour.
This cold soak method also means that if you want to, you can throw all of the ingredients into a bowl and leave it to soak over night in the fridge. Too easy!
I will have to be really, really, really time poor before I go back to hot soaking my grains. Cold soaking does take longer, there is no way around this, but just trust me that it tastes superior and it’s fluffier, lighter, better!
This dish is mediterranean inspired in terms of flavour, I guess it’s a bit like tabbouleh, but it has the added kick of the chilli flakes.
I love this salad so much. It’s perfect as a side for a BBQ or used as a filler in a mediterranean wrap or even as the main meal for healthy, flavoursome lunch.
It’s healthy, fresh, delicious!
- 400 g bulgur wheat
- 10 spring onions, chopped
- 4 preserved lemons, chopped into tiny pieces
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 bunch fresh mint, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- juice of 3 large lemons
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- salt, for seasoning
- pepper, for seasoning
- In a bowl create a dressing by whisking together the lemon juice, olive oil, and pepper.
- Add the uncooked bulgur wheat to the dressing and leave it to soak up all of the dressing. This will take about an hour. If you need to then add a little more lemon juice and oil to the bulgur wheat. You want the bulgur wheat to completely soak up all of the dressing and be nice and soft.
- When the dressing has been completely absorbed, and the bulgur wheat is soft and fluffy, add the rest of the ingredients to the bulgur wheat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve cold.