A nod to one of my favourite restaurants in London, The Real Greek. This beautifully simple dip is a must for a BBQ or even as a go-to dip in the fridge. You can have it with almost anything, toast, pita, carrot sticks, celery sticks, you get the idea! I LOVE this dip so much. I can’t even express how delicious it is… just try it!
Super tangy, creamy, outrageously luxurious! This dip absolutely has the wow factor. I love to make this when we have a BBQ and serve it with fresh bread or vegetable sticks or with pita fries.
It is a traditional greek dip, so if you are going to be a puritan you can chargrill your peppers. I just find that in winter this is pretty impractical as I don’t really want to be sitting in a smoke filled house when I can just as easily buy store bought. But if you do want to chargrill your peppers, for example if it’s summer wherever you are, then you can absolutely do this.
This dip is super rich, so a little goes a very long way. It is also really nice if you add it to your mediterranean wraps (falafels for example), or it would be lovely served up on top of my preserved lemon & bulgur wheat salad.
- 2-3 large red peppers that are chargrilled/roasted (I use roasted peppers from a jar, I use Lindo brand)
- 400 g feta cheese
- ½ tsp chopped fresh thyme (no stalks)
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 150 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh pepper
- You can chargrill your own peppers but I prefer to buy the readily chargrilled peppers in a jar and chop them into small pieces. I find these taste better, but make sure that there are no seeds.
- Break up the feta into small chunks and then mix in the olive oil. Don't over mix as you don't want it to become a paste, you want it to still some chunky feta bits.
- Add the chopped peppers, chilli, thyme and mix thoroughly.
- Season with pepper and put in a container in the fridge until needed.
- Serve it straight from the fridge with some pita breads or toast or crackers or vegetable sticks!