Beautiful, fast, made with only 8 ingredients. This is a go-to meal when I want to make something fast and delicious for my meat eating friends. For a vegetarian option, you can replace the chicken with any firm vegetable (beans, broccoli) or firm tofu!
I make this for any meat eater friends that may be coming over for dinner and can’t survive an evening without meat! You know who you are, hehe.
It’s really a very quick, simple, beautiful dish and so easy to make. For a vegan option I love to make this dish with tofu, keeping all ingredients the same and just substituting the chicken for tofu. I also make it by substituting the chicken for broccoli or green beans.
It’s hard to believe that there are only 8 ingredients in this dish. It’s so packed full of flavour. The sauce is inspired by Chinese cooking and is really sticky and gorgeous.
Whatever you make, chicken, broccoli, beans or tofu, it will taste fantastic if served with some plain, steamed rice.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 3 spring onions, cut into slices on an angle
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5 Tbsp soy sauce, I use light soy sauce (tamari sauce can be used for gluten free)
- 1 fresh chilli, finely sliced.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a pan or wok and brown the chicken all over. Once browned remove from the pan/wok and put to the side.
- In the same pan/wok add the garlic, ginger, 2 spring onions and fry lightly for 2 minutes to soften the onions.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the honey, soy sauce (or tamari), 6 tablespoons water and half the chilli (if you do not want it to be spicy then do not add the chilli).
- Crank up the heat and bring to the boil. Once boiling put a lid (or tin foil) over the pan/wok and lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and turn the chicken thighs over, cook for another 3 minutes until the liquid has become a thick glaze.
- Allow it to rest for a couple of minutes before serving.
- Serve with the rest the spring onions and chilli (optional) sprinkled over the top!
- This dish is perfect served with some steamed rice or vegetables.