A beautifully fresh, balsamic, tomato and onion salad that goes well with any savoury pastry dish. Great also as a quick BBQ side salad.
Quick, pretty, fast, tart, super tasty, incredibly fresh! All words I use to describe this simple yet beautiful salad.
Basically only 6 ingredients in this dish:
red onion, tomato, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper.
That’s it! Seems like it wouldn’t be that flash huh? Well you would be wrong there. Just a simple dish that packs an extreme punch in flavour.
You want to cut your onions as thinly as you can. I take the skin of the outside, then cut the onion in half, then slice both halves into very thin slices to create little half moon shapes.
Cut the tomatoes in a sporadic and rough fashion, as you want the tomato chunks to be all different sizes and shapes, you can even use different types of tomato if you want to create more of an interesting looking dish.
Make sure to add enough seasoning too, a decent whack of salt is needed in this dish to balance out the sweetness of the balsamic. So add salt and taste and then add some more if you need to.
I serve this up with pretty much any pastry dish, e.g. spanakopita parcels is a great example of a dish this salad goes perfectly with.
- 1 red onion, sliced as finely as you possibly can into rounds
- 6 large tomatoes, chopped into different sized chunks
- a decent glug of good quality olive oil
- a decent glug of good quality balsamic vinegar
- salt, for seasoning
- pepper, for seasoning
- Not all balsamic vinegar and olive oils are created equal, so try and buy the best you can afford, especially when they will be taking such a leading part in the dish.
- Combine the balsamic and olive oil into a bowl and whisk. Add the salt and pepper and adjust to your taste.
- Add the tomatoes and the onion to the bowl and mix well so that the balsamic dressing covers the tomatoes and onions.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 10 minutes before serving.