Discover a delicious, completely vegan BBQ flavoured ‘pulled pork’ recipe that is ready in under 30 minutes and uses jackfruit and bbq flavours. Less fat than pork and less expensive so a great recipe to have up your sleeve when you need to feed the family and want a quick, filling, inexpensive pork alternative.
Firstly, apologies that I have taken so long with this post everyone, and thanks for all of the comments! I am glad that you are enjoying the site and will try and get back to some of you who have messaged me via private message.
Basically, I have had no kitchen! We are renovating and so I haven’t been able to do as much cooking as I would like due to having virtually nowhere to cook. Hopefully the kitchen goes in on Wednesday this week so I should be back to more regular updates.
I just quickly want to give a big shout out to NSMBL Magazine who featured Pineapple!Pineapple!’s tofu saag paneer in their ‘No meat, No problem!’ feature. It’s always nice to get a feature in such a widely read magazine and also a big ‘Hello’ to our new Netherlands readers.
Now, back to the food!
Today is all about vegan BBQ flavoured ‘pulled pork’ 🙂 so, I would like you all to say Hello to Jackfruit!
Jack what? I hear you ask?
Jackfruit! It’s my new vegan pork substitute and when you make it as per my recipe, you are going to absolutely love it. When cooked, jackfruit has a similar texture to pork and is fantastic at absorbing flavours, so it is perfect as a pulled pork substitute and excellent for using in any recipe that calls for a slow cooked pork meat.
It’s also cheaper than pork ($2.90 nzd per tin) and has less fat (because it’s a fruit!) and it doesn’t taste at all fruity in this recipe!
when making this vegan BBQ flavoured ‘pulled pork’ recipe, I like to add black beans to it mainly because I like to add black beans to anything and everything. But you can just as easily leave these out.
Also, I used tinned young green jackfruit in brine, don’t get the one in syrup as it will be way too sweet. You can find the jackfruit at most Asian supermarkets.
When the ‘pulled pork’ is nearly cooked, use 2 forks to separate the pieces into a pulled pork texture.
This vegan BBQ flavoured ‘pulled pork’ dish is fabulous because it is:
Cheaper than pork,
Less fatty than pork,
Easy to make,
Ready in 30 minutes,
Amazing on its own or in sandwiches (check out my Banh Mi recipe, soon to be uploaded)
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 2 Tbsp dried BBQ spices (I use store bought)
- 400 g tin black beans (optional)
- 2 x 280 g tins young green jackfruit in brine (do not use sweetened). You buy this from any Asian supermarket
- 4-5 Tbsp BBQ sauce (I use store bought)
- Add 1 tsp oil to a frying pan and add the drained jackfruit and BBQ spices and fry for 2 minutes. If you want to you can cut out the middle core of the jackfruit and throw it away to give a softer texture (I don't do this).
- Add the BBQ sauce to the pan and the black beans and ¼ cup of water. Bring to the boil then cover with a lid and simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes. Add more water if it sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- When the pulled 'pork' has cooked pull the jackfruit pieces apart with 2 forks to give a pulled pork texture.
- Serve piping hot with bread or vegetables.