Discover a quick, healthy and delicious tofu ‘chicken’ curry made in 40 minutes. Why should you miss out on a gorgeous tasting curry just because you are vegan?
I call this my Vegan Tofu ‘Chicken’ Curry Power Bowl because it takes a traditional chicken curry style dish with all of the sumptuous flavours and used tofu instead and it packs a punch!
I absolutley love this dish.
Currently I am in San Diego, USA and am really missing cooking! Despite the fact that there are plenty of lovely Mexican restaurants here to whet my appetite for vegetarian food – Hello guacamole 🙂 I am hankering for some full on spicy Indian!
So, I thought I would publish one of my favourite Indian dishes instead.
The key to this dish is to make sure you marinate the tofu for 30 minutes (more if you like). The marinade really needs to soak into that tofu as it adds a lot of flavour to the dish.
Also make sure that you fry the tofu so that it browns on each side.
This dish is a real winner with all Indian food fans and I think you are going to love it.
It’s a fantastic dish to serve at a dinner party because it is:
Fast and easy to make,
Traditional Indian tasting,
Excellent when served with beer 🙂 ,
- 1 block firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes (2cm x 1cm)
- For the Marinade:
- 1 Tbsp natural, unsweetened yoghurt (sub 1 Tbsp olive oil if making vegan)
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- For the base curry:
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (sub vegetable oil, sunflower oil, olive oil)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil spread (sub ghee or butter if not vegan)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (more or less depending on your taste)
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 2-3 green chillis, chopped very finely (do not add if you don't want it spicy)
- 10 cardamon seeds (sub 1 split cardamon pod)
- 8 black peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes ( I use tinned cherry tomatoes)
- 2 red onions, chopped very small in a blender or food processor
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey (sub maple syrup if vegan)
- 1 handful fresh coriander
- Put all of the marinade ingredients into a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add the tofu pieces to the marinade, make sure each side of the tofu is covered in marinade and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the oil and olive oil spread in a pan, allow it to heat slowly.
- To the pan add the cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns, red chilli and cardamon and fry over a medium heat. You may want to put a lid on the pan at this stage as some of the ingredients can fly out.
- Add the cumin seeds to the pan and fry for 10 seconds.
- Add the onions. Cook the onions until completely soft (approx. 10 minutes). Stir occasionally so that they don't stick to the bottom.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, honey, salt, cumin powder, coriander powder, tumeric, ginger, chillis (optional), tomato puree and ketchup.
- Turn the heat down and put a lid over the pan. Cook the sauce for 20 minutes on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Allow the sauce to sit off the hob until the tofu has marinated for 30 minutes.
- In a pan fry the tofu so that it is brown on all sides.
- Add the tofu and any additional marinade to the curry sauce and cook for an additional 10 minutes on a low heat.
- Stir in the garam masala a few minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle fresh coriander over the top.
- Serve with perfectly steamed basmati rice.